Friday, May 8, 2009

How Much Sacrifice Should One Make To Go Back To Work?

OK, I'm trying anything I can think of to get a job. I have talked with recruiters about doing temp work or contract work. And now I have decided to look at consulting work. I saw a job on the Internet (which we all know is the worst place to actually seek employment, but still I keep on!) with a consulting company and decided to send my resume. I received a return call the following day!

Now, you are thinking that is a good thing. But is it? Without even interviewing me, they asked if I could start training this weekend. Yes, they called on Thursday and wanted me to fly to Chicago Sunday for seven days of training. They were going to pay all my expenses. If I passed the training, I would then be asked to sign an employment contract and would be one of their consultants. Still, you are thinking this sounds pretty good, aren't you?

Here are the other conditions. First there is 100% travel involved. You would leave home every Sunday night and return on Friday (except for maybe once a month where you would need to stay gone over the weekend as well). You had to arrive in Chicago with your passport in hand so that you were prepared for international travel. You had to bring your own computer and portable printer with you to training and then use them on the job as well. You probably would not get to come home after the training was completed but rather be sent straight to your first assignment for another week. The job consists of a minimum of 50 hours per week - more if you wanted to make more money.

And the starting salary was 30% less than what I am used to making. I know I will probably have to take a cut in pay to get a job, but they want me to give up my life for this?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment