Thursday, February 19, 2009

Networking

This networking thing isn't as easy as it sounds. Your network is busy. You have to be the one to make the effort to stay in touch. If you reach out to your network frequently (but not enough to make a nuisance of yourself), you will be the first person they think of when there is an opportunity. This applies even if you already have a job. Who isn't looking to improve their status in the job market or grow their own business. Network, Network, Network!

Volunteering isn't as easy as it sounds either. I thought I found the perfect opportunity to volunteer. I tried to volunteer to help with the Furniture Market in High Point. I thought the timing was right. Market isn't until the last week in April so they are just now gearing up to get ready for it. However, they told me they didn't accept volunteers. They hire seasonal help, but the same people are used from year-to-year so there wasn't an opportunity to even be hired temporarily. Yes, I was a little disappointed.

I have found another opportunity to volunteer though that I think will work out great. I have adopted a soldier! Last week I was watching the Today Show when they had a segment on adopting soldiers. Did you know that there is 25-30% of our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan that never receive mail or packages from home? I didn't! I was shocked. You can adopt by going to www.adoptaussoldier.org. They process your application and then send you all the information about your soldier along with his/her email and physical address. I won't be rubbing elbows with influential people who can help me land a job, but I feel good about making somebody else feel just a little bit better about being away from home and family.

I have not been to a job fair since I got out of college. However, there is one next week in Greensboro. It is February 24 from 9:00-1:00 at Quality Inn and Suites, 7068 Albert Pick Road, Greensboro, NC. I definitely plan to go. I have no idea what to expect but will attend with an open mind. I will take a few resumes and some resume cards and go dressed for success. You know I will blog about the experience and share my thoughts on the whole thing.

I also have applied for a part time job with a winery. If you have looked at my profile, you know that wine is one of my passions. This particular winery is only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday so the only opportunities are part time. I look at this as an opportunity to have fun while I work but also as a chance to learn even more about wine. Will let you know about this as well so that you can come do a wine tasting with me!

I have given some serious thought to substitute teaching. It is a bit more difficult to get your name on that list than one would think. Most of the counties are giving the "Substitute Test" in March. I plan to participate for Davidson County. Unfortunately, that only leaves 8-10 weeks to actually work as a sub. But it is still a way to have temporary income to help with that unemployment check. I am certain that there will be several taking this test. I know I am not the only genius who thought of this as a way to earn money.

I write all of this to let you know that I am taking my own advice. I actually heard someone on TV giving very similar advice. I could have sworn they had read my "Survival 101."

Keep a positive attitude and keep networking!

No comments:

Post a Comment