Sunday, February 15, 2009

Moving Forward

Have you noticed all the commercials with the tag line, "Moving Forward." Everyone from retailers to politicians are trying to give us the impression that things are on the mend. I hope they're right.

With the job market being so tough, I have done some research this past week on looking for a job hoping that I could offer some sound advice to help move you forward. I have already commented on an earlier post that you really can't trust all the job postings that you see on job boards because a large percentage of these jobs are not real and don't exist. Keep in mind though that if the job is posted by the actual employer and not a recruiting firm, that it is real. Do a cover letter and if you know anyone that has connections with that company, use them to get you in the door. If you can drop the resume off in person instead of resorting to just an email, you might luck up and actually get a meeting on the spot. Better yet, if you have that inside connection, give them a call and ask if you can email your resume to them so that they can walk it over to the hiring person.

In my research I ran across an article by Darrell Gurney (www.CareerGuy.com) that suggested we stop looking for a job. I have always suggested to everyone that they network as much as possible. Your network can give you a vast resource of people that can help you find opportunities. You should focus on building authentic relationships with these people. Try not to sound or appear desperate when building these relationships. Instead, show your value. Look yourself in the mirror and realize what you have accomplished. Put it in writing, not in a resume, but something for you to read and be proud of. You can add to or update as much as possible as you remember your accomplishments. According to this article, "if you are branded well and fly a flag of who you are when you meet people, you never have to ask for a job. If they see value in you and are attracted to the flag you are flying, they will find whatever they can for you automatically." Network purposefully and be prepared to offer mutual support. You have to find a reason to connect and ask for a few minutes of their time. Maintain these relationships so that you are always at top of mind when your network hears of opportunities.

I have really started to question having my resume posted online with these job boards. I have gotten in touch with three people, all in completely different fields and industries, who have connections all across the state (and well beyond). I feel so much better about job hunting and new opportunities when I am actually talking to someone instead of sending emails. Is the country moving forward? I don't know, but I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment