Wednesday, January 28, 2009

That Was Easy

Filing for Unemployment - now, that was easy. I am not sure what I expected, but I thought I would have to appear in person to sign forms or at a very minimum, they would mail forms to me that had to be signed and then returned. But no! I simply went online and completed the process in a matter of minutes.
One of my concerns though was that the first option for receiving your weekly payment is that the payment is put on a debit card and then the debit card can be reloaded each week so that there are no checks actually mailed out. Why would you want a debit card? Are you going to take it with you to the electric company, water company, or to your insurance company? Don't most people do all their banking and pay their bills online?

Thankfully they do allow for direct deposit. I immediately downloaded the form for direct deposit, but could not complete it online. I printed it out and was going to put it in the mail the next day, but these people are quick! I received the same form from the Employment Security Commission in the mail on Saturday. I completed it and put it back in the mail on Monday - now we'll see if they are quick enough to get my first unemployment check in my bank account or if I get that dreaded debit card before they process my direct deposit information.
I wasn't clear by the instructions online about letting the Employment Security Commission know that I was applying for my required 2 jobs per week. I tried to call half a dozen times, but kept getting a busy signal. This is actually what I expected with the number of people that are out of work so I ended up sending an email. To my surprise, I received a response within a couple of hours answering all of my questions. Yes, I do have to apply for two jobs per week, but I don't have to notify the ESC of this on a weekly basis. The only time they need to know what I am doing to look for a job is if I am chosen to be audited so I need to keep a record of the jobs I am applying for.

I really don't know when to expect my first unemployment check. Last week was my waiting period - you have to put in a week without pay once a year as a waiting period. The prior two weeks I was paid a severance check so this is my first eligible week to draw unemployment. I am a little concerned about losing my steady paycheck. I was the main bread winner in our household.
Wish me luck on today's job interview!!! Will post again to let everyone know how it goes. I am not the only one being interviewed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment